HUMAN rights campaigners have urged Britain to stop the sale of bombs to Saudi Arabia after finding evidence of war crimes against Yemen.
Amnesty International have found airstrikes by a Saudi-led military campaign killed a 12-day-old baby, among scores of other children, as well as destroying schools.
Campaigners fear some of the bombs may be using guidance systems made in Fife by one of the world’s largest arms firms.
This week, the SNP will question UK ministers about the damning new evidence of war crimes.
The Nats’ international development spokesman Patrick Grady said: “The Arms Trade Treaty, which the UK signed up to, makes it clear that weapons should not be sold where there is a risk they will be used against civilians.”
The Glenrothes plant of Raytheon produces laser-guided systems for Paveway IV smart bombs. Last year, they announced they had won their first international contract for the missiles in a deal worth £130million.
It is claimed that Britain have supplied Paveway IV missiles to the Saudis, who have been bombing Houthi rebels in Yemen in a civil war that has resulted in more than 2100 civilian deaths, including more than 400 children. Other Arab
states have joined in the bombing of Houthis in a bid to reinstate Yemen’s ousted president Abd-Rabbu Mansour.
Amnesty investigated 13 air strikes in May to July that killed around 100 civilians, including 59 children and 22 women, in Yemen’s capital city of Sana’a. One child was less than two weeks old.
In at least four of the airstrikes, houses were hit more than once, suggesting they were intentionally targeted.
Amnesty’s senior crisis response adviser Donatella Rovera said: “This demonstrates in harrowing detail how crucial it is to stop arms being used to commit serious violations of this kind.”
The charity’s report revealed that an airstrike on June 13 killed eight children and two women from the same family.
Abdullah Ahmed Yahya al-Sailami, whose one-year-old
son was among the dead, said: “It took us three days to dig out their body parts. One of the children was torn to shreds.”
The Ministry of Defence have previously admitted they supplied Saudi Arabia with bombs originally earmarked for the RAF.
A UK Government spokeswoman said: “We have raised concerns with members of the coalition and have received repeated assurances of international humanitarian law compliance.”